Sunday, May 15, 2011

A little twang for the soul

As some of you may know, I have a soft spot for folk-rock. I've come up with a bit of an overview of some of my favorite bands, all of which are worth checking out in depth.

First up is Mumford and Sons, an English group who's received a fair amount of attention for their song "Little Lion Man", which Tino posted a while ago. But I can honestly tell you that I like every single one of their songs. I don't think I can say that about any other band. Here are some of my favorites from their album "Sigh No More":
The Cave - Mumford and Sons (I don't understand this video, but I like it)
I could keep going, but if you want more check out the rest of the album.

Of Monsters and Men is an Icelandic group that is planning on releasing their first album this summer. From the singles they've released, they're definitely a group to keep your eye on.

Deer Tick is an American east coast band, with a little more blues mixed in with the folk. They have two songs in particular that I really like:

The Band Perry is made up of three siblings from Tennessee, and they just released their first album recently. The most noteworthy song is "If I Die Young", very well written, though I enjoy most of their other stuff. One of us may have a crush on the lead singer, though I would never betray his Greek secret.

Sugarland. Something about them is just...really good. They are closer to the country-rock genre, but I bet you'll enjoy their stuff. I'll admit, I myself have a small crush on the singer of this band.
Stuck Like Glue - Sugarland (Great video, weird but fun)
Stay - Sugarland (Also a good video, but definitely not fun)

Ok, that's enough for one post. I'll put up another installment with more of my favorites for those of you who are interested in these styles.

1 comment:

  1. She's 26, and beautiful. And mine. I'll admit it no problem. When I marry her, ya'll be jealous.

    ReplyDelete